Choosing an online broker for stocks, options, and ETFs is one of the first steps you must take as an investor to start building up your nestegg for the future.
In my 20+ years as a self-directed investor, I’ve used several different online stock brokers and trading platforms to help me reach my financial goals.
Nowadays, most online brokers offer $0 commission stock & ETF trades along with other products and services such as crypto trading, roboadvisors, and other awesome perks that didn’t exist when I started investing in the late 90’s.
Best Online Brokerage Accounts and Trading Platforms of 2023
- Best Overall: Fidelity
- Best Broker for Stock Trading
- Best Broker for ETFs
- Best Broker for Low Cost
- Best Broker for Beginners
- Best Broker for Mobile App Traders: Robinhood
- Best Broker for Advanced Traders
- Best Broker for International Trading
- Best Broker for Options
- Best Broker for Crypto Trading
Fidelity Investments: Best Broker for Stocks & ETFs
Why We Chose It
Fidelity remains a top pick and personal favorite of mine for stock, ETF, and mutual fund investing. I’ve personally used Fidelity since 2006 and consider it the best broker for most U.S. investors starting out as beginners.
Pros and Cons
- 24/7 Customer Support
- $0 Stock Trades
- 4.5% APY Cash Management Account
- No Overdraft Fees
- Low Cost Margin Trading
- Great Research Tools & Educational Resources
- UTMA/UTGA and 529 College Savings Accounts for Minors
- No Minimum Account Fees
- Zero Cost Index Funds
- Fractional Share Trading
- $0.65 Options fee per contract
- $2,000 Minimum Net Value for Same Day Withdrawals
- Limited Crypto Trading Offerings
- Sluggish UI for Mobile App
Fidelity is one of our top choices for investors who want access to a full service brokerage accounts. Founded in 1943, Fidelity offers everything under the sun from $0 stock trades to professionally managed stock portfolios for retail and institutional investors.
Fidelity offers several retirement options including Roth IRA, Traditional IRAs, SEP IRAs and Rollovers IRAs for long term capital appreciation goals.
The Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card offers 2% cashback on purchases that can be deposited into any Fidelity brokerage account. For example, you will receive $50 for every $2,500 you spent.
Fidelity currently has $4.7 trillion assets under management as of June 2023.